Canada History

Canada History   timelines 
AskAHistorian    blog 




Museums | Homes | Settlements | Forts | Landmarks | Archeological | Event Sites | Religious

Andrews Rectory | Doukhobor Village Museum | Musee des Urselines de Quebec | Chapelle des Soeurs | St Boniface Cathedral

The order of the Ursulines established their home in Quebec in the former residence of Governor Claude de Ramesay in 1699. In 1715 the Ursuline community carried out the first expansion of the monastery with the construction of the chapel and the hospital. The chapel was inspired by Greek architectural style.

The refectory was built in 1752 but in 1806 it was destroyed by fire and then rebuilt and used by the students until 1996.

The fresco on the arch represents the struggle between good and evil, or a battle between Archangel Saint Michael and Lucifer. The frescoes that decorate the dome are the work of the Italian artist Luigi Capello.

The nuns have worked hard since 1997 to restore the chapel to the glory of previous times.

Article/Document/Material Source: